Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A Devo a Day: 2

"1Then all the tax collectors and the sinners drew near to Him to hear Him. 2And the Pharisees and scribes complained, saying, “This Man receives sinners and eats with them.” 3So He spoke this parable to them, saying: 

4“What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? 5And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ 7I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance. (Luke 15:1-7 NKJV)


It's Christmas Eve. In my family we have old traditions and new traditions that allow it so that I start and end the day with my family.

Tonight though I am going along with new traditions and attending a Christmas Eve Candlelight Service with my in-laws-to-be. 

This thought crossed my mind while reading this passage: were Jesus to appear in human form tonight and roam around my hometown, where would he go?

My thoughts immediately went to the candlelight service I'm about to attend. Why not? We're his followers, bringing him glory tonight, why wouldn't he stop in for a guest appearance?

He might. But in this parable we see Jesus' heart. Would he really stay the whole service, sipping hot caramel apple cider and socializing when he knows that there are Lost Sheep still out there?

Remember, the shepherd in this story left his 99 for the 1. He would do the same today. 

He would visit the homeless, the widow, the orphan, those with no where to go tonight. He might even bring them to the rest of the flock where they're socializing and sipping hot cider. 

Isn't that Jesus' heart? To go after the lost, to bring them into whole standing in community and to rejoice over the one who's heart is turned to him?

So here's my practical application tonight. If you have a place to go, even a service or a tradition that you follow, can you pray tonight, reflect over the Lost Sheep in your life, some who you know are lost, and those who may seem fine but the Lord brings to your heart, can you invite them with you tonight? Can you open up your home, your traditions, your quaint service enough to do what a Jesus would do, bring the Lost into loving community? If we did that there might be grateful hearts choosing a relationship with Jesus tonight. 

Merry Christmas Eve.




No comments:

Post a Comment