Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Joyful Defending


Have you ever been faced with the choice to defend Jesus?
What did you do?

Numerous times, I've found myself in that position. I'm not too loud about my own life in my workplace, but somehow it always gets out there that I'm a Christian (God thing?), and the reaction of the people around me is pretty immediate.

These are some of the things they say:

"Oh, so you're one of the Jesus freaks?"
"Tell me, what do you think about ________________ and ___________."
"Here comes the virgin Mary!"

It got me thinking: did the apostles of Jesus ever find themselves in this position? When he's going about his business, and then someone finds out about his faith, does Paul find himself in a position where he must suddenly defend the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Or defend Jesus Christ Himself?

My answer is this: No.

Because Paul's life WAS his walk with Jesus Christ.

". . . I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish that I may gain Christ" (Phil. 3:8)

Nobody "discovered" that Paul was a Christian because they already KNEW. They knew that Paul=Christ follower. And when someone brought up Jesus Christ and the Gospel, Paul responded out of his intense devotion and passionate love for Christ: 

"I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone that believes..." (Romans 1:16)

Why is it that we always wait for someone to bring up Christianity? Why is it that we cower in shame or fear whenever someone says Jesus' name and looks at us, expectantly, and we never have anything to say? Why is it that we feel we must defend Jesus out of servitude instead of joyfully proclaiming our undying love for Him?

Loving Jesus, defending Him, and responding to persecution, should be an act of joy for Christians. 

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds..." (James 1:2)

Prayer:

Lord, help me to put away fear. Fear of being pushed away, despised and rejected because of my love for You. Help me to come to a greater understanding of You so that I can no longer see the things of this world, and I only see the things of You, and that is all that matters. I love you, Jesus Christ! And I want the whole world to know, so that they may experience this steadfast and forever love that you have given me.

Amen.

"For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified." (1 Corinthians 2:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment