Total Pageviews

Monday, March 25, 2013

The Sin in the Saving

"He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30)

What is our first reaction to our brother or sister in distress? For me, as I'm sure it is for most of you, it is to run to their side, to nurse their wounds, to whisper "sweet nothings" into their ears.

"It's going to be alright. I'm here. I won't leave you."

We don't realize just how damaging that could be.

If we consistently and constantly run to the aid of our friends when they are hurting, what does that make us? According to a certain author that I greatly admire, we are becoming enemies of the Bridegroom. We are holding them back from the only true source of comfort.

"...when you begin to see that person in the middle of a difficult and painful struggle, don't try to prevent it, but pray that his difficulty will grow even ten times stronger, until no power on earth or in hell could hold him away from Jesus Christ." (1)

The truth of the matter is, Jesus Christ may very well have to wreck a life before He can truly save it.

Jesus: "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to turn 'a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law, a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.' Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." (Matthew 10:34-39)

To be honest, it's foolishness to think that I, a human being, can possibly bring better comfort to my ailing friends and family than the eternal and all-loving God of the universe.

Prayer:

Lord, help me to understand. Help me to love you more than I love even my most cherished family members. I pray for every one of my friends and family right now that are struggling. I pray that you increase their suffering, not out of hatred, but out of passionate love, so that nothing can keep them away from you and your unfailing love!

Amen.

(1)- Chambers, Oswald. My Utmost For His Highest.

No comments:

Post a Comment