Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Blasé Battler

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood..."
-Ephesians 6:12


Have you reconciled yourself to the fact of sin? If not, you should... There is an enemy of our souls, he DOES exist, and he will take advantage of our blasé attitude toward sin and use it to compromise with us.

And to make compromises with us.

"Time doesn't really make a difference does it? Just one more week living in this sin. That's all I want. One more week."

Sorry to say, but that's all that Satan wants too. For us to not realize the ramifications of our "precious" sin life.

"... For he is a liar and the father of lies."
-John 8:44


But if you reconcile yourself to sin, you can recognize the potential danger, and the potential destruction.

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."
-Ephesians 6:12

Authorities? It's true--if we give the enemy the power of our ignorance and our "blasé" attitude about sin, we give him power over our very lives. 

Its true, no one is innocent of sin. But there is a greater authority that asks for purity of hearts, not innocence. And purity begins with the realization that sin exists in your life.

"Today if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts..."
-Psalm 95:7,8


And once it is achieved, and we finally realize that sin is real, and that we actually do struggle with it, we can finally start to climb the ladder toward a deeper relationship with the Almighty.

"For this reason, make every effort to add to your faith, goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love."

I know for a fact that my sin is my lack of self-control--turning to idols instead of the living God for comfort and entertainment. If I don't reconcile myself to this sin, I'll never be able to persevere. And I'll never taste godliness. And I'll never love my brothers and sisters the way God has intended me to love. And I'll never love in the manner that God wants for me.

"For if you possess these things in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins."
-2 Peter 1:5-9

No comments:

Post a Comment