Total Pageviews

Monday, January 27, 2014

Meeting with God

I find it interesting that we can meet with the people we need to almost every day, if we need to talk to our teacher we find them after class, if we need to remind a parent (or for parents, a child) about something, you find them once their home, but then there's God.

I find that I can plan to meet with God and miss my appointment, not because He wasn't there, but because I never looked up long enough to interact with Him.

On Mondays I have a little under two hours of a gap between classes, during which time I try to have some God time and me time. I'm solid on the me time, I go to my favorite coffee shop (Dubsea all the way!), I order my coffee of choice (today it's an Americano, I'm feeling quite adult, thank you), I pick out my ideal table my the window facing the light outside, and I journal.



It's amazing but between my phone, my book, and my laptop I can go from me time to free time where I just leap right into things that I don't always get to do in my day.

Wasn't I forgetting something? Oh, oh well.

That's how my God time often goes, in the morning before work (too tired, snooze button), in the afternoon after work (oop, overbooked, gotta jet), or in the evening before bed (but I really need to catch up on my book!).

Today, God did what he often does to raise my attention. He gently calls for my attention.

I went straight from journaling to my computer and my plan was to have my God time after my computer time, but my computer wouldn't turn on.

Love, come meet with me.

God, I just need to look up something real quick.

Choose me first.

So I shut my laptop, pull my Bible in front of me.

James.

Easy, I'm teaching through James at Ignition youth group so yup, James, what've you got for me God?

Chapter 2.

I read the chapter from the first verse to last and it was different then when I read it earlier in the week. Verses stirred ideas in my head that hadn't come to mind before. I saw the Scripture in a new light. Instead hearing my voice in my head quickly mumbling the words, I heard the soft and loving voice that had called me to this time with Him.

That was it. God didn't ask anything else of me, He didn't have me read the rest of the book, He didn't tell me to get on my knees in the middle of this coffee shop and repent, He just called me to His side to show me something that I needed to see.



How easily I put off, ignore, or forget about my great need to meet with God. And yet, when I do meet with Him, either out of need, pure desire, or any other motive, I find that in my 3-minutes of God time I received more peace and comfort than the hour and a half I put into trying to please
myself.

Thank You God for Your gently raising of my chin when my attention is focused on the "other". I needed what You showed me in Scripture today. I needed to connect with my Comforter. Thank You drawing me to your side.

No comments:

Post a Comment