Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Desert Time: God Time

So, check it out.

I was reading my Bible the other day. I've been going through Matthew, as I have done probably ten times before in my life, so I wasn't expecting anything new to pop out... (By the way, do I know God AT ALL?)

And I read this verse: 

"Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil."
-(Matthew 4:1)

HOLD ON A SECOND.

Jesus was LED into the desert by the SPIRIT?

What does this mean?





...Pause for effect...



 

It means that the "desert" is God-appointed. 

It means that, when we are ready/mature enough to handle it, God leads us into dry seasons.

"Therefore thus says the Lord of hosts: 'Behold I will refine them and test them, for what else can I do, because of my people?" 
-(Jeremiah 9:7)

It ALSO means that life as a Christian is NOT roses and sunshine all the time. We are SUPPOSED to be walking through the dry seasons, getting our hands dirty. It is what God wants us to do. It is God-appointed.

He does it to mature us. If you think you are super duper mature and don't need to be tested, read the ENTIRE book of Job. Let me know if you change your mind.

To summarize, this is how Job responded to everything in his life being taken away:

"...'Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised!" 
-(Job 1:21)

Now, don't get me wrong. God doesn't tempt us; He is not the tempter

"When tempted, no one should say 'God is tempting me.' For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone, but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed." 
-(James 1:13, 14))

In fact, the enemy is SO evil, he will WAIT for you to be in your darkest, most desperate moment before attacking you with temptation. 

In Matthew, Satan waited until Jesus had fasted for forty days before hitting him with three different temptations. 

We MUST be aware that the enemy WILL see us in utter discomfort, sometimes agony (as Jesus must have been), and he'll step right in and throw temptation our way. 

Anything that will pull us away from our purpose and the lesson that God has been trying to teach us. 

I admire Jesus. Any man would have given in to the devil's cunning deception, but Jesus was WISE (He was MATURE) and he saw right through it.

Will we be able to see through temptation when the time comes?

Prayer:

Lord, I pray you give us eyes to see and ears to hear. I pray for strength for me and for my brothers and sisters when hard times come. I pray you help us through every step of the way. Please continue to test and refine us until we are golden, as your sons and daughters should be! We love you Lord and we live to please you!

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment