Total Pageviews

Monday, April 1, 2013

Me Day vs. HE Day

Have you faced a day where before noon hits or before the sun rises or before your feet touch the hard ground of a new day, you have already decided: today is going to be a me day?

Which for me (Jacky) means it is my (partial) day off so the hours I have free today are going to be spent pleasing ME. If I want chocolate for breakfast or if I want to sleep in and skip my workout or if I want to go home and read beneath my thermal blanket I WILL.

Now what's wrong with this picture (besides my egocentrism) is that I've played this game before.

I've spent days trying to become "satisfied." I go for the first thing that sounds good: a bath, an expensive smoothie, a venti hazelnut latte and that delicious-looking scone. I spend the greater part of my day trying to chase after that one thing that is going to leave me saying, "And with that, I am complete." I mean it! From sweet potato fries at the store to that mind-numbing show on Netflix, to funny cat videos on Youtube, as the list lengthens my ME time diminishes...

And yet.

I know the one thing that will leave me satisfied. The one thing that will cause me to awake the next morning refreshed, revived, rejuvenated. I have searched my cupboards and Starbuck's drink list for that one thing that I think I NEED in order to fulfillment but I have only ever found it in HIM. The Big Man Upstairs. God. Yahweh.

I realized this (again) today as I began to convince myself that today was going to be about ME. That's when what I read in the Bible this morning (while keeping one stern eye on my study hall class) came back mind, to really soak in.

"13 So think clearly and exercise self-control. Look forward to the gracious salvation that will come to you when Jesus Christ is revealed to the world. 14 So you must live as God's obedient children. Don't slip back into your old ways of living to satisfy your own desires. You didn't know any better then. 15 But now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy. 16 For the Scriptures say, 'You must be holy because I am holy.'" -1 Peter 1:13-16 NLT

Holy. Greek: Hagios. ἅγιος.

Defined as: "sacred (physically {pure} morally blameless or {religious} ceremonially consecrated ): - (most) holy ({one} {thing}) saint."

Instead of spending the 6 hours I have free today slipping back into my old ways of living to satisfy my own desires, I want to ponder on what being made holy as God is holy means.

When Moses spent time with God on Mount Sinai he returned to his people radiant, his face glowing. Moses wasn't just kickin' it with God on a sunny afternoon off. He was in quite the situation with the Israelite people kicking and screaming the whole way through the desert when all Moses was going off of was what God told him to do: lead My people to Promised Land.

So Moses called upon God and asked what was the deal. He and God went back and forth talking (I'm dying to know what that looked and sounded like!). The end of their conversation was Moses either challenging or imploring God, "Then show me your glorious presence" (Exodus 33:18). 

So God agreed the next day to walk past Moses and allow Moses to see Him from behind! I mean WHAT?! 

So Moses spent 40 days and nights on that mountain writing down the new covenant God was making with His people (the 10 commandments) and upon returning back to the people Moses' face glowed, radiating something.

Something so pure and bright that Moses had to wear a veil around the Israelites when he returned from time spent with God.

"You must be holy because I am holy."

Prayer:

Heavenly Father You are holy. As I am in You, I long to be holy in all that I do. Eradicate all unholiness in me Lord so that I may become more like You. I will rest in You Lord. Thank You for the spare time I have today. May it be spent up on the mountain with You.

No comments:

Post a Comment