Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Need a cup of joe

I almost do it in a unthinking way, like someone who walks down the hall in the morning with their eyes closed, feeling around for the tools and ingredients needed to create that cup of liquid energy with its billowing steam rising from the brim.

I pull out my Bible, my Life journal that contains my Bible-in-a-year reading plan, my everyday journal, my favorite pen, like one feeling around for the lid of the coffee maker, dumping the grounds, replacing the filter. I find my ribboned bookmark, note that I'm in 2 Peter, like one would note how many coffee grounds they have left. I start reading.

"1 This letter is from Simon Peter, a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ."

Okay, okay.

"I am writing to you who share the same precious faith we have. This faith was given to you because of the justice and fairness of Jesus Christ, our God and Savior."

I'm tracking. Who Paul is writing to. That Jesus gives us our faith because He is just and fair.

...But it's like waiting for coffee to brew. You can smell that delicious scent, and you're left waiting, wanting.

"2 May God give you more and more grace and peace as you grow in your knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord."

Mhm. Almost to the top of the pot. Almost there...

And then there it is. A full pot.

"3 By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life."

Woah. God has given us everything we need for living a godly life? Everything?! Everything!

"We have received all of this by coming to know Him, the one who called us to Himself by means of His marvelous glory and excellence."

Woah! By coming to know Him we have received everything we need for living a godly life! So we're not left waiting for God to give us patience that He's been holding out on us or goodness or the ability to love everyone.

He has given us everything we need for living a godly life. And we have received this by coming to know Him.

AH! It's like that cup a joe that allows my eyes to finally open for the first time the day.

I read thirstily through the rest of the chapter and its goodness did not run out.

"4 And because of His glory and excellence, He has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share His divine nature and escape the world's corruption caused by human desires."

Mmm. So good. His promises have enabled us to share His divine nature and escape the world's corruption!

I read and read and what I love about the Word of God is that unlike coffee it doesn't run out, it doesn't lift your spirits and then leave you to crash half way through the day.

It's Living Water. We need to drink of it and drink and drink and let it nourish us and cleanse us.

Prayer: God, thank You for giving us Your Holy Word that is living and breathing. You are a just and a fair God and You care for our daily needs. Thank You that Your Word gives us more than we know how to ask for. May our thirst for You grow and grow. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment